VCO with 8" mono

• GaryQ.
  • GaryQ.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 5 months ago #2116 by GaryQ.
VCO with 8" mono was created by GaryQ.
Just recently had a run with my 2000 VCO set fully CCW in the 2.8Mhz range in Ch2 only and its Gain set at 50% with my ML 11"DD and 8" mono. I was surprised to find the 8" mono when I set the DAE Voltage Reg to its max of 8 volts the detector ran nice a smooth more so than when I wound back down to my usual voltage setting of 6-volts on noisy ground with a mono. The 8 volts also seemed to tone down the extra Gain response to noisy ground.

A check against a friends 4500 response in Enhance with his NF10" mono to a signal still buried in noisy ground displayed that the above settings on my 2000 with my 8" mono produced an equal response of low/high to the nugget before dug.

After reading other replies here regarding the 2.8Mhz frequency than I must agree is a good one to operate in. However hot rocks did take a liking to these settings as well any highly mineralised spots which the Enhance had little trouble with. I am planning next time to try my 17"DDpro using these settings.

GaryQ.

Regards

GaryQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #2117 by gef12
Replied by gef12 on topic VCO with 8" mono
Hi Gary
Just interested to know what target u were shooting at... also do u have any other comparison targets for ur 2000..
eg .2gram or .5gram or 1gram nuggies ???

• GaryQ.
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 5 months ago #2118 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic VCO with 8" mono
Gef,

The target (5g) was for its weight not at a spectacular depth (6”) although its surface area was not great either being round in shape.

As to your other query than unfortunately I have had few opportunities to compare on the nugget sizes you mention as I have only recently returned to operating my modded 2000 since 2005 as a 3000 took centre stage for the last 3 years before I sold it a couple of months back.

The smallest nuggets I have found with Issy’s mods was on a trip to Victoria with a 0.68g at Kitties Lead - Ballarat and 0.19g at German Gully – Moliagul using it’s 11”DD with Settings: Search mode / Both Ch1,Ch2 Gain at 100%/ Freq.3 (2.4Mhz) / Reg Voltage set at 8.5 volts.

However on a recent trip to Clermont Queensland I took a chance to compare my 2000 using its latest addition of the VCO mod on an un-dug target again against my mate’s 4500 in Enhance but this time located with his NF20”mono. Actually I was using a borrowed 4000 with my NF18’mono on that day when he called me over to this target. I was running the 4000 in S/Smooth with Gain at 15 and could hear the nugget but lesser in audio response than the 4500. I was then curious if my SD could hear the signal so I quickly connected up my 18” mono to the 2000 and tried it over the spot and heard a faint low / high response in my headphones BUT easily missed compared to the responses from the 4000 /4500. Switching through different Xtals I could still produce a response but I did not try some “gain” as I was unable to run “gain” on this trip being too darn noisy. The target turned out to be a 5g nugget covered by 6” of mineralised hard compacted soil resting on top of old wash 5” thick with the nugget near the bottom 10” from the surface.

Actually I only operated at 6-volts throughout the trip with my NF18” and Commander 8” monos believing extra voltages would aggravate a smooth threshold especially in higher frequencies.

However after the episode mentioned in my posting above my mind has changed somewhat.

Gary

Regards

GaryQ

More
13 years 5 months ago #2119 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic VCO with 8" mono
You really are persistent as well others on P'oz in trying to flog a dead horse that being the SD2000.

More
13 years 5 months ago #2120 by gef12
Ye thanks Gary for the report.. was just interested in if u had a .2 grm or .5grm so can compare with my unit. I think over the next few months will add the vco mod and see how it goes.
And Brian nuthin wrong with the modded SD2000 still a hard one to beat on depth.. on the bigger nuggies.
have a nice day.

• GaryQ.
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 5 months ago #2121 by GaryQ.
Gef,

Actually I do have some Air - Depth results on 0.19g, 0.47g, 0.71g nuggets using my 2000 with my 8" mono before the VCO was fitted.

SD2000 - 8" mono
Search mode
Freq.4(3.0Mhz)
Gain 0%
0.19g nugget - 3"
0.47g nugget - 5"
0.71g nugget - 6"
Gain 100%
0.19g nugget - 4"
0.47g nugget - 6"
0.71g nugget - 7"

Gary.

Regards

GaryQ

More
13 years 5 months ago #2122 by gef12
Hi Gary
Ye experiencing pretty much the same distances there on the nuggy values u present.. do u feel the VCO smooths out the threshold much ...smooths out the wable??
cheers
gef

• GaryQ.
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 5 months ago #2123 by GaryQ.
Gday gef,

I believe we both use the same model series 2000 although you have performed other internal modifications of your own by yourself.

The VCO Issy fitted for me is good at tuning to the quietest frequency that can create a smoother threshold but the wable is still slightly in existence then magnified using Gain, well that is my view.

Gary

Regards

GaryQ

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds