voltage regulator

• Gravelwasher
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 6 months ago #2314 by Gravelwasher
voltage regulator was created by Gravelwasher
Have a GP3000 and looking at power options with some lipos, would like the safest set up as not to blow a fet or anything on the gp. Saw this little BEC from castle...Castle Creations CC-BEC RX Battery Eliminator Circuit

What the heck is a BEC? CC BEC Battery Eliminator Circuit is a little device that eliminates the need for a receiver and servo battery pack. It draws higher voltage from the motor batteries and drops it to a voltage level that is suitable for your receiver and servos. This is required in applications which draw high power for multiple servos or use more than 3S motor packs, as most ESCs with linear BECs are not designed for these applications. The CC BEC uses a Switch Rate method that is vastly more efficient than common circuits that sweat off much of your power through a heat sink.

Peak Current Output: 10 amps
Continuous Current Output: @12 Volts input 7amps, @ 24volts input 5 amps **
Output Voltage: 5.1 volts out of the package, user may set output voltage from 4.8 to 9 using the Castle Link (sold separately).
Input Voltage: 5 to 25.2v (2S to 6S LiPo)
Length: 1.2" (30mm), Width: .6" (15mm), Height: 4" (10mm)
Weight: 0.4 oz (11 grams)

What do you guys think, maybe its worth a shot for a variable input with variable output as well? Any tips or tricks on using a 11.1 volt lipo appreciated. Thanks Gravelwasher
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gravelwasher
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 6 months ago #2315 by Gravelwasher
Replied by Gravelwasher on topic voltage regulator
Been doing a bit of searching for something prebuilt and came across this...LM2596 voltage regulator...Features:

Brand new and high quality.
Input voltage: 3.2-40V.
Output Voltage: 1.5-35V (adjustable) ,input must least high 1.5V than output.
Output current: rated current 2A, maximum 3A (need to add heat sink), if the output power greater than 15W, combined heat sink is proposed.
Conversion efficiency:Up to 92% (output voltage higher, the higher the efficiency).
Minimum dropdown voltage:1.5V.
Dynamic response speed: 5% 200uS.
Circuit protection: SS36.
Operating temperature: Industrial grade (-40 ℃ to +85 ℃) (output power 10W or less).
Load regulation: ± 0.5%.
Size: 50 mm x 23 mm.

What do you think, looks like just add a heat sink and hook up the input and out put, then set the voltage..?

More
11 years 6 months ago #2316 by Ismael
Replied by Ismael on topic voltage regulator
I think for ease of use and parts a LM2941 will do the same job, especially when using Lithium batteries. I used them in my battery system for the SD/GP series and so long as they have a good heat sink (I used a double sided pcb with the bottom being the heat sink attached via a slodered tin strip to top of PCB). They will more than handle any current that the SD/GP will need. I used to use a LM350 but for some unknown reason they would resonate with Lithium cells. With the LM2596 you need to use an inductor and a lot more parts. With the 2941 you just need a couple of caps and a pot to adjust the voltage level also they are a lower offset voltage...

Hope this helps

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Regards Ismael

• Gravelwasher
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 6 months ago #2317 by Gravelwasher
Replied by Gravelwasher on topic voltage regulator
:)
lm2596 found a bunch of pre built adjustable units for like four bucks shipped, will one of these do me good? I am a bit worried about the khz noise they produce but will try. I saw the lm2941 but could not find it as a pre built board, so I will consider picking one up if the one I have on order dosent do the trick. Will keep you all posted on my progress, I dont expect it soon as it is coming from china. Thanks for the tips!!

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds