Interference while detecting.

• oregonneil
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 7 months ago #104 by oregonneil
Interference while detecting. was created by oregonneil
I would like to float an idea I have, to combat the interference while detecting with my PI detectors.

I am no electronics expert so please be patient with me.

Here is my simplified version of how the PI detector works. The detector sends a signal to the coil and then listens for the reflected signal. It then processes that reflected signal and sends an analog signal to the headphones. In that reflected signal is a target signal and an interference signal. Sometimes the interference signal overrides the target signal and it is impossible to detect.

Why couldn’t a black box be inserted between the detector and the coil? That black box would have an input from an antenna. That antenna would pick up the interference signal and input it into the black box. The black box would take that interference signal and compare it to the reflected signal coming back from the search coil. Where it finds a match, it cancels out those signals and the signal going into the detector is a clean target signal.

The antenna would have to be kept out of the field of the search coil and could be sewn into the battery pouch or put on the headphones.

The black box could have it’s own power supply or use power from the detector battery.

Maybe the receiver of the detector doesn’t have a band pass filter to filter out the interference signal or maybe the receive signal from the search coil is full of harmonics that the receiver needs to process the target signal.

Bose sells a set of headphones they call “Noise canceling headphones” that I think do kinda the same thing, detect noise and cancel it out of the sound going into your ears.

So, what do you think, is it the dumbest idea you have ever heard of?

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds