• Gollum
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago #1235 by Gollum
SD2000 Battery Question was created by Gollum
Hey Folks,

I'm new here, but have lurked at this site off and on for some time.

I built a Radio Controlled Rock Crawler with a wireless IR camera for cave/mine exploration. The RC Truck uses 7.4V batteries.

I have several Lithium Polymer batteries that I believe may work with my SD2000.

Here are the specs on the batteries:

Lithium Polymer 2100mAh/7.4Volt (Actual voltage is 7.58V-7.6V)
10-12C (21-25Amp) Continuous
16C (33Amp) Burst

The reason I want to use them is because they weigh 95grams each! I wire three up in parallel for the truck to get 6300mAh.

So, tell me what you think!

Thanks-Mike <br><br>Post edited by: Gollum, at: 2006/09/02 04:31
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 8 months ago #1236 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic SD2000 Battery Question
G'day Mike,

Thanks for your post.

I am not sure regarding Li-Poly batteries and differences between them and the Li-Ion system which is being used with succes on our metal detectors. I did a quick search on the web as you do, and as usual there is heaps of hits and you take a guess at which link to follow. Ismael says in his technical info section under main menu that they are similar to Li-Ion at the expense of higher cost per watt/hours along and a table displaying various batteries. I would assume you had browsed this section for a looksee.

I read on the net that they have many advantages in its design over the classic Li-Ion design incliding the fact the solid polymer electrolyte is not flamable(unlike the organic solvent that Li-ion cell uses) and are therefore less hazardous if mistreated. Also the voltage of a Li-Poly cell varies from about 2.7V(discharged) to about 4.23V (fully charged), and Li-Poly cells have to be protected from overcharge by limiting the applied voltage to no more than 4.235V per cell used in a series combanitaion. During discharge on load, the load has to be removed as sonn as the voltage drops below approximately 3.0V per cell (used in a series combination), or else the battery will subsequently no longer accept a charge.

Again from what I read these batteries may also power the next generation of Battery Electric Vechicles. Anyway I assume you know all of the above seeing you built your RC Truck.

Now the question is, using them with the Amp output you discribe into our SD2000s, although the Amp/hour rating of the battery pack would seem to be enough.

Sorry mate, I wish I could give you a definate answer other than someone else posting here to help us out.

Cheers.
Gary

Regards

GaryQ

• Gollum
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago #1237 by Gollum
Replied by Gollum on topic SD2000 Battery Question
Thanks Gary,

I am quite close to actually hooking this thing up. I have already made a parallel setup for three 2100mAh batteries.

I desoldered the wires from the factory battey terminals, and soldered them to a 60 amp connector.

That way, the Li-Poly batteries are just taking the place of the old battery. Headphone plug in same place, and all other wiring the same.

The one thing that is stopping me from actually connecting it, is that the ACTUAL battery voltage tests between 7.58 and 7.6 volts. I have read that the SD2000 can handle 8.5 volts all day, but Minelab and Coiltek have both said 7.4Volts is ok, but have yet to respond about 7.6 volts. HELP!!!!

Thanks,
Mike

• Gollum
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago #1238 by Gollum
What do you think?

Post edited by: Gollum, at: 2006/09/03 09:37<br><br>Post edited by: Gollum, at: 2006/09/03 09:46
Attachments:

More
17 years 8 months ago #1240 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic SD2000 Battery Question
G'day again Mike,

My 2000 handles 8 volts no problem whatsoever. I have actually used Ismael's Sakina variable Regulator to wind voltage up from 6 volts to over 8 volts to a point where the 2000 shuts down, and then as you wind voltage down the 2000 fires up again.

Thanks mate for the great pics of your setup, and as soon as I spotted those connectors I recognised them similar to the \&quot;Deans\&quot; hi- voltage plugs that my Son now uses on his remote control touring car that he races. I suppose they are rated at 60 amps as you say and I had not thought of using them for connectors for my detectors SLA 6 volt battery supply.

Your setup looks pretty darn good to me. Have you found out any more out regarding the Amp output of your setup for the SD?

Cheers,
Gary.

Regards

GaryQ

• Gollum
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
17 years 8 months ago #1242 by Gollum
Thanks again Gary,

And yes! You are correct. Those are Deans HiVoltage connectors.

Now I feel safe enough to run it and see just how long it lasts on 6300mAh.

And I love that I can share batteries with my Rock Crawler. Because I use the rock crawler with an IR Wireless Camera, and the receiver attached to a laptop with PVR Software. That way I can record to disc the entire video of what is inside a mineshaft before I walk in.

Best,

Mike<br><br>Post edited by: Gollum, at: 2006/09/04 14:33

Time to create page: 0.206 seconds