• Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 0

What is it?

More
17 years 5 months ago #1269 by Ismael
What is it? was created by Ismael
Quite a while back (long before the first system became available) we had ideas of making a system using these types of batteries but the prohibitive price, for us cheapskates anyway, made it uneconomical. We couldn't really justify the huge sale price as with the GPM we wanted something that was affordable to all. Anyway just recently we decided to look into it a little more. We have trialled a system using a straight Video Cam 7.2V 6000mA battery and it works well without the need for a regulator. To give an example of our preliminary tests, a mate (Outback) tried it on a GPM and with a very small modification it ran the detector for 3.5 hours and only went down to 7.8V. These batteries charge to around 8.2 - 8.4V Ideal for the GPM and as you can see very little reduction from full after 3.5 hours. We also found that the difference from 8 - 8.4V (as DAE) is quite small. The total cost so far has been around $90 with a 12V/240V charger included. A little mod has to be done and that's why we are experimenting more. The reason for the mod is some Lithium batteries will shut down immediately on the start-up of the detector due to the sudden current surge.

Once we have it going I will let you know.

Keep watching this space.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Regards Ismael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #1304 by AZNuggetBob
Replied by AZNuggetBob on topic What is it?
Has anyone heard of these new lithium video cam batteries with a five year warranty and 8.5 hour run time? I found these on ebay. 8.5HR BATTERY FOR CANON BP-945 XL1 XL2 XL1S GL1 GL2 GL3 Item number: 120046110716 Nuggetbob

More
17 years 5 months ago #1306 by hillbilly
Replied by hillbilly on topic What is it?
coiltek use the same system it seems that they supply 6000maH camera batteries with their regulating system, the annoying thing is the same switch pulse of turning on the detector will often shut the battery down so one must turn the det on first then the battery system, its okay if the battery is mounted on the detector, but if its on the hip or in the backpack once it happens the actual battery has an inbuilt reset and to get the battery back on line one has to plug it back onto the charger, okay eccept if you are about 1km from the mobile or not carrying a spare battery.
on the plus side the battery seems to operate my SD2200 for around 7 to 8 hours use, and it makes up for the shortcomings with the light wieght.

I had the chance to handle a new minelab 4000 and noted they have change the 4 pin battery plug to a 5 pin, that might cause a few problems if using old battery systems with it, think its 7volt operation too but not sure about that.

Love the new page Ismael some great work, much better than the old one in my opinion.
Cheers Doug

More
17 years 5 months ago #1307 by Ismael
Replied by Ismael on topic What is it?
Thanks Doug on the compliment. Yes the major problem with Lithium batteries designed for low current items such as videocams and the such is that when used with a detector that immediately pulls a high current (although with our detectors the initial 1ms can be 1.5A) the safety circuit (as described in my article about Reeds Lithium) will immediately switch out the batteries to prevent any over current like a short circuit. Basically the safety circuit presumes that is what is happening. My mate who has experimented with this battery is also using a switch. At the moment there is no way out because of the above, you have to use the battery to turn on the detector. I am surprised that Coiltek's battery needs that as I am sure they would be regulating the unit but that obviously does not help as the cam batteries are obviously manufactured for low on current surge.

The battery AZNuggetBob mentioned on ebay I looked at but was unable to see the physical parameters such as Voltage and Current capacity. If you want to experiment buy a battery with these specs: 7.2V 6000+mA. Remember the rule of thumb is for every 1000mA (1A) our detectors will run for just over an hour.

Have fun...

Regards Ismael

More
17 years 5 months ago #1308 by AZNuggetBob
Hi Ismael, The reason I posted the ebay lithium battery is I thought the five year warranty was odd? I thought these batteries somewhat self destructive from the day of manufacture? a year of life tops? I have built several varieties of voltage regulators lately with mixed success. they all seem to have little problems (heat) weight of the 12v. batteries etc. Your idea about going with a voltage amplifier may be the way to go. I have been looking at Lithium batteries lately and have converted a portable battery charging stand to fit right in my hunting belt pouch were the old gel cell was. it looks similar to the coiltek setup. The only difference is I'm running it strait 7.4 volts with it no amp or regulator. I'm a little leery of modifying the lithium's with their explosive nature. and the built in regulating boards on them is a little beyond me technically. Nuggetbob

More
17 years 5 months ago #1309 by Ismael
Hi NuggetBob, Firstly I would suggest that you do not play with lithium batteries at all if you are considering doing so (I mean internally), You can pull them out of a pack WITH the circuit (safety) in place and attached!!! and put in a different package. NEVER solder directly to the batteries and use the wires from the out put of the safety circuit to do any other connections.

Now with that out of the way, Standard Lithium Ion batteries are prone to shelf life and start from manufacture, the new Lithium Polymer batteries however (as far as I understand) do not suffer from this effect. Also the rate of degeneration is better. This is why I suspect the 5 year warranty. Later to aid the DIY I will post the circuit and description for my regulator. Now running a 7.2V Lithium with 2000/2100 there is no problem with running direct (except for the battery switch off as explained before) The initial voltage level will be 8.2 - 8.4V and will drop down to around 6.4V when depleted. By then your battery will generally have switched off. So no harm to the detector to speak of. 2200 and GP's will not be able to run a straight 7.2V battery because of the high charged-up voltage level.

The best way to lower the voltage is by using diodes in series to obtain the voltage level required, but of course this means the level will drop to a lower voltage quicker unless you can switch out diodes as battery level decreases.....

Catch ya later

Regards Ismael

More
17 years 5 months ago #1310 by AZNuggetBob
Hi Ismael Thanks for the advise. I had heard it was not a good idea to solder directly to the lithium battery that is why I converted a battery charger pod. I just added a 4 pin power plug to it and headphone jack .and it makes it easier to change batteries. Do you think anyone would be interested in a post about hip mounting?? I solved several problems with hip mounting a few years ago on my 2000 and used the same setup on my 2100. Nuggetbob

More
17 years 5 months ago #1311 by Ismael
AZNuggetBob wrote:

Do you think anyone would be interested in a post about hip mounting?? I solved several problems with hip mounting a few years ago on my 2000 and used the same setup on my 2100. Nuggetbob

Most definitely Bob, you can either post in General Discussion or even as an article in DIY or Prospecting tips, Up to you. I even would be interested....B)

Regards Ismael

More
17 years 4 months ago #1356 by AZNuggetBob
Hi Ismael, As far as the shutdown on the Lithium-ion battery. I think Im going to try a heavier gauge wire from the battery to the detector. Maybe the battery regulator see's the drain as a short because of resistance? Im hipmounting and that maybe what is contributing to startup shutdown on the battery regulator. I heard the RC airplanes were having the same problem and this is one way to fix it.They also have a huge power drain on start-up. Will let you know, Nuggetbob

More
17 years 2 months ago #1418 by AZNuggetBob
Hi Ismael, I have been having some problems with my new Li-ion battery packs shutting down on start -up especially if their half used? I'm using Canon BP-945 video cam batteries. apparently from what Ive found doing some checking is that different camcorder batteries have different shut-down amperage limits built-in to their internal safety boards. I ran across this site that sells these safety boards in a higher amperage (5 Amps) My boards test at 850 mAmp max at 8.4v.. and shut down. I ordered a few of these 5 amp boards to replace mine and see if this solves the problem.My batteries have long enternal leads so soldering should not be a problem.I hope the 5 amps. will not be over-kill. I will let you know. AzNuggetBob

Here is the link to the site:

www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction...WPROD&ProdID=550

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds