Newbie to the Site

• Barry
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #2338 by Barry
Newbie to the Site was created by Barry
HI TO ALL MEMBERS , I have just became a member & Glad to have been accepted ..THANKS..
I live in BOOBOROWIE STH-AUSTRALIA 200ks Nth of Adelaide ..
I am a 74/Y/old Pensioner [retired mechanic-Welder etc..]
I dabble in some Electronics & Have just Began this Metal Detecting Hobby from my previous Electric Guitar hobby [Something different to Keep the OLD=GREY-MATTER =ALIVE!!!,HA.haaaar..

I started this M/D hobby just 2 months ago & built a DIY-IDX =VFL ,KIT & have wound a few coils
I Am hoping to pick-up a M/lab-F1A4 PI.. to play around with as my budget allows ????:unsure:

ALL THE BEST FELLA's BARRY..:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #2339 by downhalo
Replied by downhalo on topic Newbie to the Site
You'll enjoy the F1A4.. its a fun unit and quite powerful (even unmodified)

I did some minor mods on mine, installed a 6.5mm headphone jack, changed out the mil-spec coil connector for a stock one, and swapped out the coil plug (on coil), also installed a quick track button on the handle and port on the machine itself, because reaching back and flipping a momentary switch to ground balance is a pain..

with the stock 8" coil it'll ping off sub gram gold at decent depth.. I picked a nice .51gm bit last weekend from about 12cm depth. about 2 months ago down in the GT, i got a nice .73 super flat nugget at at least 14cm. "around about 5 1/2"

More recently in NSW Mogo area i got a 1.3 gram nugget easily 17-20cm (just a whisper at first)..

I wouldn't compare it to the GP or GPX series (that'd be silly) but i will say they are on par with the SD200-2100-2200 units, after modification I'd say better.

Cons:
Heavy
You really do need to install the 6.5mm or 3.5mm headphone jack.
Internal speaker volume is low, and firing behind you, (really retarded design)Oh and chews batteries when used hence why i recommend 6.5mm or 3.5mm headphone jack.

• Barry
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
7 years 1 month ago #2340 by Barry
Replied by Barry on topic Newbie to the Site
HI D/HALO,, Thanks for that info I feel as you they would be a good starting choice for me at least & thank for the mods described ..
because i live in SA we have not great gold fields But 1 hour east of my town Booborowie [Mid north S
Ther are very minor fields where they find only sug-size gold & alluvial,in the dry creek beds ..
I have bought a Whites GMT-3 that should pick-up shallow small targets .
Testing at home it see's small lead ball's that my IDX will not ..
I will try to raise my hobby money to get hold of a F1A4 & have a play with it..

THANKS MATE for your message ,,BARRY..

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds