• SGTFDA
  • SGTFDA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #2244 by SGTFDA
Ismael's 2000 at work was created by SGTFDA
Ismael
Well I moved from Pennsylvania cross country to Arizona. I now have the chance to put your old 2000 to the test. As you recall it it is your old unit and has all your mods including the VCO.
On a invite from Bill Southern I hit desert with a old pro. I had a 6" Coiltek on it. The area hunted was a old wash that had very small gold. Bill was using a 4500 with a 8" coil. I had the detector set up using the VCO mod adjusted so the detector ran smooth. It was very hot on boot tacks and small metal pieces picking up targets down to 10" or so. No gold though. Bill called me over to test a target he found with the 4500 that he thought was gold. I could pick up the target with the 2000 but it was not as strong a signal as the iron targets I found in the area. I recovered the target and it was a small nugget. Bill looked at me and said, "those mods work". I don't think he thought the 2000 would pick up the target.
Last night I screwed around with the 2000 to see if I could set up the unit for a stronger response to the small nuggets found in that area. Using the found nugget I found the 2000 in frequency #5 (3.5 Mhz) on channel 2 only with the tone a little deeper picked up that nugget with a strong deep signal. Much stronger than the settings I used the day of the hunt. Any opinion on using channel 2 only for very small targets?[img size=150]
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SGTFDA
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #2245 by SGTFDA
Replied by SGTFDA on topic Ismael's 2000 at work
OH! The nugget was about 2" deep when recovered.

More
10 years 8 months ago #2246 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic Ismael's 2000 at work
I am now running my SD2000 exclusively with the MODE switch in the BALANCE 11 position or CH2 position as we seem to call it. I have found when in BALANCE 11 mode my 2000 operates with a SMOOTHER threshold and more so when running at a higher voltage of 8.1 volts which I have decided on as my maximum input voltage. These settings combined with my VCO set to its highest frequency (3.1 Mhz) and using either my Commander 8” Mono or stock 11”DD I believe my 2000 is now running the sweetest since returning to detect with it after parting with a 3000. However as expected I am unable to wind up the Gain using these settings with 25% max if ground allows. Also the extra Ground Balance Knob that Ismael has added has helped when running out of Ground Balance adjustment in BALANCE 11 mode.

Now my own in-ground tests have confirmed how well these settings are although I am yet to have the success out on the goldfield that my in-ground results have displayed. Also these tests have shown the above settings produced good results with a larger Mono and a DD which was surprising although recently at a nasty test site in HIGH mineralised ground these settings struggled big time and convinced me to stay with a DD coil.

SGTFDA since you made reference to the 4500 I recently returned from my annual 2 week trip to a popular goldfield where I was offered the use to borrow a 4500 to detect with for the entire trip. I could not knock back such an opportunity so my 2000 took a back seat. What a wonderful experience it was to run with such a super smooth threshold in Enhance with a Mono coil over nasty ground which produced my best ever result.

GaryQ.

Regards

GaryQ

• SGTFDA
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #2247 by SGTFDA
Replied by SGTFDA on topic Ismael's 2000 at work
Thanks Gary for your imput. I just moved out to Arizona and will put the 2000 to the test when the weather cools. I retired and bought a house out there. After filling it up with stuff it will be a while before I buy a 4500 or 5000. I will post my results as I go.

More
10 years 8 months ago #2248 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic Ismael's 2000 at work
Good luck SGTFDA with your detecting now that you've moved to Arizona in your retirement. I will stick with my 2000 for the time being and look forward to reading of your results as they eventuate.

Regards

GaryQ

Time to create page: 0.377 seconds