Addiction

• GaryQ.
  • GaryQ.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 2 months ago #1697 by GaryQ.
Addiction was created by GaryQ.
My addiction to again post something on this forum continues to persist. Now I am sure I told myself to back off and let others have their say, yeah right.

By the looks of things not many modified 2000’s are running around on the goldfields these days with very few postings.

Well with the summer heat upon us and if any are prepared to brave the hot conditions most would venture out for a detect in the morning, afternoon or night whenever the fever is too strong to resist. If you are like me you stay indoors and surf the net forums and even find a couple of new ones as I have found recently.

One of these I now see Ismael has made a link here too which is similar to this forum but dedicated to the SD2100 with some references to other SD’s as well. I would expect there are many more 2100’s running around in the detecting world than modified 2000’s but I seem to be reading of more 4000’s out and about than any other ML PI at this moment.

Some intriguing conversations have been occurring on the P’inOz forum with Doug, JP, RS, and DE to keep us occupied on our computer screens as the postings there are flying thick and fast. I enjoy these discussions although our northern hemisphere friends are amazed how we Aussie’s rev one and another up.

RS or Reg as we know him on the forums creates long replies with as much info he can type for us to digest which is right up my ally. An interesting point that stuck recently in my mind that Reg made and that is maybe we should own two detectors, one for use on small gold at depth and one for large gold at depth.

Now of course the question is what detectors would fit this scenario, maybe a 4000 series and a modified 2000 series going by results on the ProspectinginOz web site?

On the other forum I recently discovered from Arizona, also with Prospecting as part of its forum name, further in-ground tests are planned to take place later in the year for one and all to come along with their own detectors to test. Hopefully this can take place and the results, as planned, be posted on both of these forums I have made mentioned of here.

I cannot finish without making mention of the Nemesis and the impact this detector might make after testing takes place later this year. Will its technology take us into a new era as did the 2000, well we will have to wait and see as competition will no doubt start to heat up with its anticipated test results and final release.

Now where is Eric(eman),GaryS (reddyredman),George(bedrock),Redeye84 and whoever else I have missed, have you fellas been out and about lately for a suntan or moonlighting on the goldfields.

Actually I tried a bit of night detecting under a full moon last year which was an interesting experience as you follow your light beam around the bush. Talk about your concentration level being focused on one spot with no idea of your current position and surroundings unless you see another detecting mate's light doing the same.

Thankfully I was detecting familiar ground and did not venture to far away from the vehicle. The stillness in the air and cooler ground temp conditions were a joy to experience also but unfortunately no gold in my case but more luck for my detecting friend.

Weather conditions, Hot or Cold, Dry or Wet, do seem to play some part in effecting the ground conditions that could help detect a nugget previously missed. Unfortunately I wish I could blame more on the weather and not my detecting ability for the small number of nuggets in my collection found over the years and many trips that I have detected on.

Well as I keep telling myself there is always next time and try to too remember NOT to do what I thought I did wrong on my previous trip.

GaryQ.

Regards

GaryQ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 months ago #1698 by AZNuggetBob
Replied by AZNuggetBob on topic Addiction
Hi Gary I see all is well down under. We are entering into a rather cold winter for us with more rain and cold than usual. It good for some but not really for the detector swingers. Well Gary here is my addiction, cant leave well enough alone:laugh: Here is a question maybe you or someone else on the forum may be able to answer. I'll post a picture to clarify. Does anyone out there know what these jumpers on my SD2100 are for? I have heard they are to change the frequency. There are two sets of three jumpers right next to the were the trim pot goes, As you can see I'm putting in a new trim pot. I've heard rumors that minelab put these there to help stop cross talk between machines? Are there two sets of transmit frequencies? any ideas on this? Take care AzNuggetbob
Attachments:

More
16 years 2 months ago #1699 by AZNuggetBob
I had a little photo problem.
Attachments:

More
16 years 2 months ago #1700 by AZNuggetBob
To tell ya the truth Im thinking about replacing that trim pot with a 100k panel pot. Get rid of that screw diver problem. The only thing is the best pot I can find is a 3600 degree (10 turn)and Im not sure that it will have a fine enough adjustment? AzNuggetBob

• GaryQ.
  • GaryQ.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
16 years 2 months ago #1701 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic Addiction
Bob,

I reckon I'll stick with our warmer conditions down here to what you describe.

My addiction is much simpler that yours and I do have not enough guts to start tinkering with the inner workings of the SDs.

I truly hope someone can answer your question here otherwise you will have to post again on the 2100 forum as you did for your previous 2100 question which I believe Reg answered for you.I am not sure how much Ismael knows regarding the 2100s although I assume there are similarities between the 2000 and 2100.

Cheers,
Gaz.

Regards

GaryQ

More
16 years 2 months ago #1702 by Murchboy
Replied by Murchboy on topic Addiction
G'day Gary,

I like you, am a forum reader of high proportion. I love the conversation and debate that comes when discussing the benefits of certain detectors.

Yeah I've been out and about through the summer. Sometimes in the early morning, and sometimes in the middle of the day. Stupid me. I find the breeze quite cooling and as long as I drink enough water the heat doesn't effect me.

The poor old 2000 has taken some what of a back seat to the 4000. Like the GPM the abbility to change settings and target a different gold size fascinates me. In amongst some hollidays to the coast we've collected quite a few nugs over the last 2 months or so. Just tonight I collected up 16 uncleaned nugs for a acid bath. They came in at 8.45g for the lot.

The 2000 still comes out when both me and my Dad are in the mood, and its picked four or five nugs with no probs what so ever.

I'm keen to try out the night time detecting trick, but am a little weary of roo shooters. lol. A nice headset might be in the shopping list soon though. If not for detecting jsut for general use.

I just love gettin out bush. Today we had a Bubley breakfast out bush, then proceeded to one of our patches for a swing. I managed a nice 0.5g that i somehow had missed previously with the GPM and the 4000. A nice Oz Day nug.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for the Nemesis. I've got some great ideas for a great discriminating PI detector around meeka. An hopefully a couple of spots for ismael to test it out if he gets the chance to bring it up here.

Best regards.
I'd love to meet you one day Gary for a face to face yarn. I love your posts.

Eric

More
16 years 2 months ago #1703 by Jonathan Porter
Replied by Jonathan Porter on topic Addiction
Hello Gary and Eric, hope the New Year is turning out well for you both. It is also good to see you have both persevered with this forum even though it seems to be going through the doldrums lately.

Change is always a difficult thing and I often wonder what has happened to all the SD2000's out there, where they have ended up and who is still using them. Probably the biggest problem with the old tech is not their ability to punch deep (this has been proven beyond doubt time and time again) but their overall useability compared to more modern offerings. The machines of today offer a far more refined experience to the operator compared to the original and as such even though there are mods aplenty to help make up for the short fall, they are still very agricultural in their makeup.

Eric, the dryblow patch that extends out of the waste pile on the dump road would have to be one of the best placs I know of around Meeka for a decent discriminating PI, I have often heard of large lumps coming from there in the old VLF days before the Haveluck mine covered everything up.

JP

More
16 years 1 month ago #1704 by Murchboy
Replied by Murchboy on topic Addiction
G'day JP,

Thanks for that, I love hearing little stories like that about where gold has been found in the past. I'm building up quite a list of possible spots to head over with the next good discriminating detector that comes out. I had a go many years ago on Ralphs patch to the north of Haveluck mine. I only managed a house full of nails. lol. But I know theres some nugs hiding in there somewhere.

Yesterday my dad and I did some detecting on a place I picked a nice half grammer around a month ago. I made Dad use the 4000 so he could get the practice up and I wandered around with the 2000. The ground was difficult, not particularly variable, but extremely hot. I found i still have the knack of interpreting the 2000s signal, but didnt' happen to walk over any gold. You are most deffinately right that the 2000 is fairly \"agricultural\" lol. Dad did a big wander off and returned to the car about two hours later. He had prospected the ground around where i had picked the first nug and picked a beautiful 1.7 grammer about 600 metres away. So we wandered off over there to check the spot out. It was a flat area of laterite surfacing with not as much quartz around. Once again the ground was very mineralised, along with super hot zones. We detected around there for another hour before it got too hot without finding any more nugs. There were a lot of old dig marks in the area, but they seemed to be many years old. so this is a place we can return to with a fair chance of picking a few more.

I'm constantly impressed with how the 4000 operates, and its ease of use makes detecting far more enjoyable. I think I can really notice the contrast between the 2000 and the 4000 as I've not ever used any of the GP detectors.

The 2000 still has the sensitivity, but you really need to listen through the barage of noise it brings in as well.

The minelab mods site has been a little slow lately but theres still so much good information here i'm sure its had its fair share of lurkers and visitors reading through the archives.

Regards to All,
Eric

More
16 years 1 month ago #1705 by AZNuggetBob
Hi Gary, I think their are people out there that can answer my questions, there is just not a lot of them talking. The 2100 is about 75% the same as the 2000 but it does not have a simple transmit crystal can like the 2000. If you look at my photo of my SD2100 you can see the old transmit cans are gone. The cans on the SD 2000 are right were you see my black jumpers caps laying in my photo. The SD 2100 looks like it has an IC controlled oscillator for transmitting a multitude of frequencies rather than just two like the SD2000? I suspect this is one of the reasons the SD2100 will out shoot the SD2000 if the 2000 is stock, anyway have a good one. AzNuggetBob

More
16 years 1 month ago #1706 by AZNuggetBob
Hey Gary,Im sorry to see a lot of people have stopped posting here. I thought maybe Ismael was on a patch?:woohoo: Have not heard a word from him lately on this forum anyway? I know when I find a new one (patch) I dont concentrate on typing or mods as much.:laugh: Well take care I have some new mods Im going to try out on some old patches.B) AzNuggetBob

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds