New 12v li-ion pack import (help)

• brayden
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 5 months ago #2030 by brayden
New 12v li-ion pack import (help) was created by brayden
hi everyone , just imported a 12v 6500ma li-ion pack from ebay , it was a 3-in one thing (came with a usb output(5v)a 9v output and the 12v output ,was goin to use on my sd 2000, wen i first recieved all was well , until i opened it up , i was disgraced, the wires were so thin a AA would melt them , no solder anywere , all wires were just twisted together and
masking taped over, the battery was just 3 cells taped together , but all i wanted was the battery , but in my testing of the battery , a simple 6v motor would trip the safety circuit on the cells and i would have to charge them to get them back to normal , obvisly a detector would not run off them , so i was just wondering if i was able to wire them in series and bypass the safety circuits and use that to RUN the detector and use the safety circuits to CHARGE the battery , (i know that the safety circuits are used to monitor charge voltage and prevent overcharge or prevent it from discharging to much) but if i take it off just to use the battery will this work? any help would be apreciated will post pics later

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #2031 by Mechanic
Replied by Mechanic on topic New 12v li-ion pack import (help)
Hi Brayden,

Firstly, you will need to regulate the output of the battery. I have found 8.1v to work the best with my coil(std DD 11" ).

What is the ebay item no.? I want to see what the specs are on their site.

What is the voltage of the cells(before the circuit)?

It seems odd that you have to charge the battery's after trying to run a motor, but it could have a high current draw. My SD2000 uses about 640mA with the std coil. Bigger coils will use more current.

If it was my battery pack I would just bypass the safety circuit for running the detector, and use it for charging, but I would at first be checking the temperature of the battery's frequently during use until I was sure it was alright. After all, what do you have to loose(apart from a few fingers:S )? You can't send them back now!

Cheers

• brayden
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
11 years 5 months ago #2032 by brayden
Replied by brayden on topic New 12v li-ion pack import (help)
Hey mechanic lol sorry i forgot to add
i have already started building my regulator it's almost finished just needed the battery (i planned maximum output at around 8.2v) By the way here is a link to the same item cgi.ebay.com.au/6-5A-3-in-1-Rechargeable...7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

The voltage of the cells is 2 at 3.8v and 1 at 4v which is the exact same through the circuit , what i ment was
the protection circuit kicked in from trying to power a very very small hobby motor (the kind you see in cheap toys) i have already wired in series bypassing the circuit but am scared to use it after all sources strongly reccommended that i don't

CHEERS BUDDY

More
11 years 5 months ago #2033 by Mechanic
Replied by Mechanic on topic New 12v li-ion pack import (help)
Hi again,

I am not recommending that you do or don't, just telling you what I would do if it were mine, and what I would watch out for. A thermal switch might be worth adding to trip at about 1.5A to be on the safe side.
If it was li po that we were playing with then that is a different story, look them up on you tube!
Cheers

Time to create page: 0.909 seconds