• Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 0

Testing the Modded GP's

More
11 years 10 months ago #2087 by gray.nomad
Replied by gray.nomad on topic Testing the Modded GP's
I should mention and Ismael can back me up on this:
Electronic components DO have an "allowable" percentage variation in performance.
Electronic components for Defence Forces have a much tighter variation, but they cost heaps, heaps more. (And also would be harder to source.)

That is (I believe) one reason why some machines work better then others and why some mods are better then other mods. I do agree that is a good idea to switch off any mods and go back to the standard machine, if required.
In addition, the experience level operators and their physical ability is also a large factor.
For instance, my hearing has suffered thru industrial activity, so for me to interpret the varying "notes" is not an easy task.
This, I presume would be also a factor by many other prospectors.
We just have to do what we can and perhaps try to eliminate physical shortfalls by other means, i.e. mods to our equipment.

See you up them thar hills.
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #2088 by Inhere
Replied by Inhere on topic Testing the Modded GP's
I know that grey.nomad, the reason that I kept my Extreme so long is because it was a bit of a freak.
I tried 3 GP3000's during that time and 2 were maybe as good and the other was a bit of a dog and noisier then my sons Extreme. The reason I bought my present 3500 was because of the advise from someone I trusted who knew the machine.

my hearing has also suffered thru industrial activity but I don't find it a big drawback, I just set my tone a bit lower then normal, and dig any slight sound or null in the threshold that repeats in 2 directions, I at times dig even if I don't get a repeat, has worked too, at times.

My view of mods from respected people, the ones who do make an attempt to test their work before selling them is, even good mods only work in some ground and that is why you must be able to get back to standard.

On some ground, I wouldn't even use the normal sensitive because it can be too noisy.

I never use sensitive anyway,unless the ground is less then a foot deep and some coil's don't like sensitive at all.

More
11 years 10 months ago #2089 by Inhere
G'day Ismael, There is a person on another forum stating that 2 dealers told her that Minelab/Coden are not going to repair the older detector's (over 10 years old???), I don't know if it true or not, have you heard anything?

Another rumour (not confirmed) was a guy getting a price quoted by Minelab (only a couple of hundred dollars less then the machine was worth) to have his modded GP repaired...????

More
11 years 10 months ago #2090 by Ismael
Replied by Ismael on topic Testing the Modded GP's
Hi Inhere, I haven't heard this, but a while back I had to repair some 2000's because Minelab said they no longer repair and just replace boards at a cost of $2000 each! I believe this to be hype as I know they haven't had PCBs for the 2000 for at least 4 years.

They would probably pull out the mods though as they have done that with the GPM but not the 4 position mod. That is why I always tell people that have mods to send to me and I will send to Minelab for repair if I cannot fix it. That way ML send them back to me and I put the mods back it. When they removed the GPM they left all components on the wires for me to replace as they explained they don't want to spend time redoing it.

I think that warranty issues wouldn't exist as apart from a couple of mates no one should mod a detector with a Minelab warranty NOTE MINELAB not dealer warranty. I would actually suggest that if people have bought a detector with a dealer warranty (mostly 3 months) wait until the warranty runs out before modding as you can guarantee that they would not uphold the warranty and would blame the mods for the problem.

Of course this could be all be a scare tactic to stop mods and push sales. That is why I always tell people if they are not certain whether to mod or buy a new model, buy a new model if I feel it is better especially as to where they want to detect is better suited to the GPX.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Regards Ismael

More
11 years 10 months ago #2098 by Inhere
Heres one for you Ismael,
around the 21st of last month on another forum we had a guy post saying his mate had a mod done on his 4500 to cut out EMI, the detector seemed quieter for a couple of day's and then there was a smell of burning coming from the box, after that, the detector got noisier.

I made the remark: I wonder who did that mod?
woody replied: Ismael is the only one doing mods to USA 4500's.

That didn't help much because the guy with the detector lived in Nth Queensland.
Any idea's about a mod like that?:ohmy:

More
11 years 10 months ago #2099 by Ismael
Hi Inhere, I see by the reply you got it seemed a little presumptious to say the least. Anyway, the only guy I can think of in Australia outside of Woody and myself doing any mods to 4500 is Mick Quinn. Woody and I both do a mod to 4500 for EMI but unless whoever did the same mod didn't insulate the toroid that we change to fix that I can't see any way of the detector burning. I did experiment with a mod on a 4500 for a person in the US once that didn't seem to pan out but his results seems strange. It was one of the 2 I tested that is posted here. I showed him what I did just in case and how to reverse it which he did later but to cause any burning I couldn't say other than the above.

Outside blowing my own detector up (old 2000) I only know of the 2 previously mentioned that have actually blown clients detectors. I have had a few heart stopping moments but never anything other than a wire off on the coil plug or such. Funnily enough I had a GP Extreme that was really butchered here the other day and whoever that tech was deserves to be shot... Check these out:

This is what we see from time to time. I do not think this was the work of Minelab Australia as I know them better. I was told that this was one from woody but I very much doubt that also. For a start the ugly looking wire looks like Litz wire and the normal is a plastic coated wire from Minelab.

Regards Ismael

More
11 years 9 months ago #2100 by Ismael
Oh also on the question about older detectors not being repaired by ML, if they stopped doing that then legally they would be required by consumer laws to release the circuit and servicing information to businesses that can do the repairs so unless they stop disguising their detectors they can't really refuse as you can't expect someone with a detector that has no part identification (as they remove them) to be repaired outside of ML.

Of course outside the CPU on 2200/GP we could mostly do any repairs but I personally really only could guarantee a 2000/2100 to be repaired by myself even though my mate has done the circuit for the 3000. Woody has also repaired the GP's sometimes but again the only circuit information available to us for the GP's is from my mate. No one else has really contributed anything to him in assisting making the diagrams except for possibly 2 or 3 ICs in total. He is a pretty enthusiastic fellow my mate and it's a real pity that he can't get more help especially from those that say they have information when in fact they have sweet FA!!!

Maybe Codan will release circuits as they do for most of their communications equipment when requested. I personally are not interested in repairing....

Regards Ismael

More
11 years 9 months ago #2101 by Inhere
"Maybe Codan will release circuits"

I wouldn't hold my breath!

The golden rule is, he who has the gold rules!

I don't think Minelab would have trouble getting around that, Maybe offer to change boards for too many dollars.

If I had to repair that Extreme thats what I would do, what a mess.

I think there is a 10 year thing on it anyway.

I don't think that mick (if he is the guy who has been placing ads in GG&T) plays with 4000-4500.

Doesn't matter anyway, just thought I'd ask.

How are you going to do the gain thing on GP's? I already know you need to remove the discriminator but are you going to make it so you can gradually increase the gain or is it all or standard?

More
11 years 9 months ago #2102 by Ismael
Hi Inhere, Mick does mods on anything but has done 4500.

With the gain I would love to do that and have contacted companies for information on 4 gang pots. That is what we would need. I could do it with a circuit board and multiple Digital Pots but they only go to 200k and although that would be okay I would prefer to go to 500k. Using digital pots also requires an MCU in most cases but can be done using 2 push buttons (up and Down)but it seems an overkill if a 4 gang pot was easily available. I have looked and as I said contacted companies that make them but so far no response.

Regards Ismael

More
11 years 9 months ago #2103 by Inhere
Thats a shame Ismael,
I think a switch straight to 50% increase would be a bit of a passenger down Vic way.
Let us know if you come up with anything.;)

Time to create page: 0.474 seconds