• Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 0

Testing the Modded GP's

More
11 years 10 months ago #2074 by Ismael
Replied by Ismael on topic Testing the Modded GP's
Hi Brian, the 2000 can have the gain turned up but not a lot. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 max. The 2000 has a lot longer pulse train than GP and this might be a reason as to why they handle the salt better and don't overload and the sample times are not as intense as GPs.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Regards Ismael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #2075 by Ismael
Hi Inhere, please do not feel afraid of adding your opinions on mods here. As you all know I won't back a mod until I have tried and tested it thoroughly. I also believe mods are not the ultimate choice for getting better detector performance. They do but as pointed out not in all cases that is why I am an advocate of being able to switch the detector back to normal, otherwise you could have wasted a lot of trip money especially here in WA if you arrive to find the detector is useless. My advice to all is simple. My mods don't turn a GP into a GPX or a 2000 into a GP, they will give you more performance in at least 90% of the time over any standard model. If you can justify the cost then it would be better in most cases to upgrade to a new model. Why I say "most cases" is because some models are duds, the 4000 is one of them. Not that it isn't a good detector, just that it doesn't warrant changing from a 3500. The 4500, yes it is better than a standard GP and in some instances even a modded GP. The last trip I did was the longest ever and in fact because of health and commitments over the years I would say it was the equivalent to around 5 years of my past detecting times. So in this situation I myself can't justify the money and so until I strike a prosperous trip I doubt I will ever get to the point of upgrading to a new model detector.

I started doing mods not just for profit but so others in the same boat as myself could at least have something a little better than they could afford. Sometimes justifying $6000 is very hard even though at the present they are probably more than half of the price of a new 2000 back in 1995. Back then you needed to find 12+oz of gold to pay the $4500 for one, now we only need around 5oz to buy a new 4500. Still $6K is a lot to fork out on the maybe that you will strike it rich.

Mods can assist but no matter what the detector, if you don't walk over it you don't find it! Also probably more important is to be confident with what detector you have. I myself have found targets that others missed and I am far from a prospector. You just have to be at the right spot at the right time.

Regards Ismael

More
11 years 10 months ago #2076 by Inhere
Replied by Inhere on topic Testing the Modded GP's
Not afraid,Just a slow typer Ismael.;)

Just a slow typer Ismael

Hi Ismael, here is my response, feel free to cut any or all of it.

Kris, In 2002 or 2003, I met a guy who had just came back from WA, who had a 2000 modded by Ismael, I was present on private land in Wedderburn when he was getting a lot of very small gold, I was impressed and when I returned home I emailed Jack Lange and told him about it, from what I know he called Reeds and they put him onto Ismael, jack tested the modded 2000 and from memory it went an inch deeper then a Extreme on his test bed.

A couple of years ago a guy on finders asked about the 4 position mod for his 2000. I told him about the guy in Wedderburn and recommended that he get Ismael to GPM mod his detector, When he gave it to Ismael, Ismael thought there was something amiss with it and it was sent for repair at Minelab, before Ismael did the mod, Long story short, the guy had nothing but trouble with it and it was returned to Ismael, I think several times, Ismael could find nothing wrong with it and they both ended up unhappy. I never felt real good either, because I had recommended him to get it done. The thing that impressed me, is that Ismael Just kept on looking for something wrong and not finding anything time after time and it must have drove him mad. As I had seen the mod working well, I came to the conclusion that there was nothing different about this detector other then the guy couldn't operate it.

You see I have a certain respect for Ismael, that is missing with regard to some other people. You know very well that I tell people If they must get their machine modded, to get Ismael to do it, because he always allows the thing to be returned to standard if a mod is no good for the area you are in and he Is going to be there If you have problems. In fact you have cried foul, when I have wrote that, hmm what was that word?

When I give a modder a deserved,serve. I always name names and why, as you well know, except when the forum I'm on doesn't allow it.
No mate, I'm no hypocrite.

I would like to see mods that work with a GP but so far 3 independent tester has found that not to be the case on the 3 tested so far and some modder's appear to go out of their way to avoid tester's, one has to wonder why.

I do believe that Ismael believes his mods work, so I come over and read about the current mod, to see if I can make any sense out of it.

More
11 years 10 months ago #2077 by Ismael
Hi Inhere, I know which detector and the person involved.. Funnily enough when he was trying to sell it he phoned my mate that advertises in the WA Quokka to buy minelab detectors, he was at my place and I listened in on the call because I recognised the name. Anyway he bought it and sold it and the person that bought it found a lot of gold with it. Now another nice old man borrowed and eventually bought it (I had to repair a broken switch once that's how I know now). The fellow now (87 and still detecting) has also found gold with it.

I always try and help that's why I don't say "you have a 1 year warranty" or the like. I am here to help and that detector was a problem. ML after they fixed it made channel 2 VERY sensitive so that could have been the initial problem with the first guy, I explained this and tried everything I knew to help. I even offered to take it out and refund to which it wasn't accepted and until it blew up on Finders I was unaware the guy was pissed off with me. I will try my best to help everyone, I don't like unhappy clients.

Thanks for the support and Kris also has been a loyal customer. Seems today too much is getting out of hand with outrageous claim that make not only others but myself also mad, not to mention go into combat mode! I try my best not to do that but sometimes I used to get excited about something I found only to find that it was useless in the field. I once had a mod (not going to say what one!!) that I could pick up a can with my 2000 in my workshop with a joey coil at 4 feet easily! Went out in the bush to find that the detector could not GB and why? Because the whole GP sample was the same size as the transmit. What a shambles. That is why I don't release a mod unless it has had bush time and tested under those conditions. A lot of people know about the beginnings of the GPM but for those that don't it was available 2 to 3 years before I released it but being and engineer I thought it was too complicated to set up. So I passed it on to a mate who passed it to another mate. The second party tried it and called me to say why the hell didn't I do this ages back? I told him my reservations and he said, "you stupid so & so, just throw a target on the ground and set it up over it!" I had never thought of that! The same with the GP mods. My very good friend, told me about these (sensitive 2, gains and frequency changes) GP mods when he was helping me fix my old 2000. He had some in his detector for a few years. I wasn't interested until I got a GP. That's why I am confident on these mods because he knows his stuff and tests everything time and time again. I tried and verified them and then started to do them. All the present mods I do are through collusion between him and I. He started us all on the 2200 GP mods!

Too many times I get detectors to re-mod or fix from others that make claims of this and that, every time without fail I get a loyal customer that knows I will give him every sort of backup I can. What I say about my mods is tested and verified and I will back that up. As you mentioned Jack Lange liked my GPM but he himself didn't like to use the 2000 but told me he used it after clearing a patch. Lots of professionals all buy the latest but still keep the 2000GPM for after they have cleaned it up.Anyway that's another story...

Now though, it is my turn to go and find the yellow stuff, I will continue to do mods when I can but I would much rather be out there than stuck behind a soldering iron. Don't worry all you guys as long as I am here you still have my backup and help!

Regards Ismael

More
11 years 10 months ago #2078 by Ismael
Oh BTW Inhere what detector do you use? Just curious. Nothing in it and if you prefer you don't have to answer. I still love the old 2000 but I thought if I was going to spend $900+ for one why don't I just build one and make it more stable in the process? I doubt whether that will happen though in reality. Lots of ideas not a lot of enthusiasm. Also I never back down from a challenge to disprove what I say. I wanted to do better testing over a patch but alas on my last trip we never found one patch. Only one piece patches and the likes. That was the main reason for this site, for you guys to give the reports and not me. No matter how respected a modder may be there will always be doubts of the claims we make personally. I don't mind if someone comes on board and says, Shit Ismael that mod is useless because it did ....
If we don't get these reports or feedback how are we ever going to get mods right or even piss them off if no good. We have to know why, where, what and when anything happens with mods. I heard from one modder that a certain mod didn't work on a 14" Coiltek DD Pro coil on GP's well it worked on mine and it worked on others, so was it the mod or the coil or even the modder? I leave you to answer that yourself as I know! The only thing I dislike is that a disgruntled person doesn't approach the modder first or says bad things on other sites behind their back. Give us a chance to reply on our sites. That is why when the test was done or questions are asked of me on GPOZ I don't reply because they know where my site is so ask me here not there. Knowing fully well that I won't go there to reply. NO ONE regardless of what Doug says is banned from my site including Doug, even though he keeps saying I have blocked his IP or banned him from entering my site he seems to do a pretty god job of quoting verbatim from my site, pretty hard if you can't see it wouldn't you say? That again is off topic but just an example of not allowing a right of reply in the right place.

Without feedback good or bad we can't honestly say we are trying to help others and are not out just for the money. That's why I don't mind if people do there own mods and I even send people circuits and as you can see in the DIY section you can do the GPM yourself. Soon when I get the time I will do the same for the GP Mods. I can't do them for nothing for 2 reasons. Firstly, I spend money and time field testing and doing them and if I break it I have to pay for it. That is why every detector I get is checked before I do anything. Never happened but I also have to be careful no one sends me a broken one! Secondly, my wife would kill me if I did it for nothing and she's 17 years my junior so probably could!!:silly:

Anyway I will not be insulted or mad (well not after I calm down:S

) if you want to say something that disagrees with my findings. So long as you are polite and not antagonistic I will try to give a response to satisfy you or even explain. Same as I have done above about gains. Sometimes when I type I get so enthusiastic about what I am typing that my brain misses a gear and I write something that in my mind I know what it should be but it comes out different and as Inhere correctly pointed out was absurd.

Okay let the shit fly!!!B)

Regards Ismael

More
11 years 10 months ago #2081 by gray.nomad
Replied by gray.nomad on topic Testing the Modded GP's
Hi Ismael,

Thanks for doing the modds for me on the GP3500. I can honestly say, that the modds helped me locate targets at increased depth.

Having tried the various possible combinations, it is evident, that the modded GP3500 will indicate deeper targets. When switching back to "normal" mode, the target has vanished.
This by itself is a good enough reason to use a modded machine.

Yes, the modded GP3500 will indicate hot rocks more than a GPX4500. BUT, it is an operator’s problem. One just has to get used to his machine to be really successful.
Personally, I like my modded GP3500, but that's my opinion. If others don't like modded machines, that's their prerogative. I really can't see why there should be a problem, nor do I see a reason for a bun fight at the OK Corral.

See you up them thar hills,
Frank

More
11 years 10 months ago #2082 by Inhere
G'day Ismael, I have a good unmodded 3500.:laugh:

not sure if I can PM or email from this site, I have a snippet of info that I don't want to post here, maybe you can explain how it works.

I am going post to grey, as always feel free to cut all or part.;)

More
11 years 10 months ago #2083 by Ismael
Hi Inhere you can PM but if you prefer you can call me, check contact page for info.

Regards Ismael

More
11 years 10 months ago #2084 by Inhere
Hi grey.nomad,
believe or not i'm happy to see your post. Hearing signal's with the mod that you can't hear in standard form is what I like to hear. It is the first positive post that I would believe.

"The bun fight at the OK Corral."
is only partly about mods, for me, it is more about someone using too much hype and not enough truth, to flog the mods to newbies.

In my view,you were smart to get your mod's done by Ismael, If one has mod's done, they should be able to be turned off and the detector must be able to be returned to standard, IF all modder's did things this way, there would be a lot less problems.

What mod's did you have done?

More
11 years 10 months ago #2086 by gray.nomad
Replied by gray.nomad on topic Testing the Modded GP's
Mods done by Ismael as per this link:

www.minelabmods.com/joomla/index.php?opt...view&gid=8&Itemid=29

See you up them thar hills
Frank

Time to create page: 0.889 seconds