• Yesterday Open: 0
  • Today Answer: 0
  • Yesterday Answer: 0

Modified SD2000s to GP3000s

More
13 years 3 months ago #1833 by Pennyweight
Replied by Pennyweight on topic Modified SD2000s to GP3000s
Hi Scott,
perhaps Woody meant that 'his version' of the 2000 is best used with a large mono. I am sure that most people will agree that the 2000 is benefited by ONLY using DD coils except in very quiet soils. The GPM mod is no exception. Too damn noisy and you cannot pick target signals easily. From what I hear, Woody's big depth mod has a liking for Coiltek coils and of course, monos provide more depth.
With the sensitive smooth addition as well as the VCO modes on Izzy's new model, this could change. Theoretically, it should quieten the noise aspect and provide further options for sensitivity increases. It seems that Ismael thinks so. I cannot comment on how the NF range will work with the latest mods but I am keen to find out. No word from Woody yet, left him an email but no response. Cheers, Dwt

Regards

Pennyweight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #1834 by Scottssrx
Replied by Scottssrx on topic Modified SD2000s to GP3000s
Hi Pennyweight
I was just sort of wondering if the gpm mod can use dd coils in the lower frequency or not,
I should get my self some smaller coiltek mono coils to use,but still the problem remains with victorias hot ground.
I may see if I can hire some from coiltek first to make sure they work ok before I buy one.
I like the look of Ismaels smooth and sensitive mod,this could help out big time with victorias hot ground but i will wait for feedback before making any decisions.
Thanks for your reply
Scott.

More
13 years 3 months ago #1835 by IBGold
Replied by IBGold on topic Modified SD2000s to GP3000s
Hi all I am using Ismaels old 2000 that has been modified by myself it has a VCO and smooth mode plus many other mods we have been Testing at Jupiter creek in SA In noisy ground and in noisy ground we are using DD coils both Minelab/Coiltek and homebrew as I build my own coils with the corect Q to suit the detector being used the 2000 is extremly impressive with the VCO mine and my sons run from 1 MHz to 4.5 MHz and in the top range are extremly sensitive to shotgun shot sized targets I am off up north next week testing for two weeks and will report back when I return I will also be trying the 2000 up to 7.6 MHz to see what efect it has as that frequency works well on my 3500 on small targets . May be Ismael will put some pictures of my 2000 up as he has them for that purpose. regards Ian.B)

More
13 years 3 months ago #1836 by Pennyweight
Hi Ian,
sounds good....I know Jupiter Creek well....noisy alright! Try the track that heads uphill from the bottom gate (Police land end). Hot as hell, lots of small gold there too. Should be a good test. What I would have hoped, was a positive result with the use of MONO coils with the modded unit. If the smooth-sensitive mod can quieten down the noise PLUS the higher end VCO frequency provide more depth on small bits of gold...we have a huge winner! Couple this with the twin GPM gain controls and (hopefully) a match to use the new NF 12" ellip mono...it should be a real killer!
Can ANYONE give me a 'ballpark' figure on how much it will cost to do these mods to a standard unmodded 2000? Still no word from Ismael or Woody....cheers, Dwt

Regards

Pennyweight

More
13 years 3 months ago #1837 by Pennyweight
Hi all,
just heard back from Ismael. The new VCO mod + smooth-sensitive switch + internal mods + Std GPM mod
costs $420 total. So if you have a basic 2000, the conversion to a REAL GP killer is pretty cheap. Just a caution though....Izzy says that the smooth switch needs more reviews to gauge its true effectiveness in lessening noise.
He also advises that VCO mods for 2100 & 2200 are also possible. I will be chasing a 2000 to be modded very soon. Watch this space! Cheers, Dwt

Regards

Pennyweight

More
13 years 3 months ago #1838 by IBGold
Replied by IBGold on topic Modified SD2000s to GP3000s
Dwt I will try the VCO and smooth mode with mono coils in the mid north next week and will report back all I can say is that the VCO is extremely stable at around 4 MHz I have had some amazing reports but I want to test for my self I have three settings in smooth mode one standad and two changed ones I will report to Ismael the details. Regards Ian.B)

• GaryQ.
  • GaryQ.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 3 months ago #1839 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic Modified SD2000s to GP3000s
Pennyweight and IBGold,

I will as I would expect other 2000 modified owners will be watching with interest for your feed back using the addition mods via the VCO and Smooth mode.

Thank you for your intended efforts to keep us informed here on IJ's forum site he especially created in the 1st place for such feed back and further discussion.

Maybe start a new thread for the above.

BTW Happy B'day Pennyweight for 2 days time and for my other half who's has her B'day tomorrow the 10th Oct.

Cheers,
GaryQ.

Regards

GaryQ

More
13 years 3 months ago #1840 by Pennyweight
Hi Gary,
as feedback arrives, I'll post it under a new thread. I have another 2 friends who have 2000's interested in having the new modifications done very soon. I am also looking at further mods being postulated by other 'tinkerers'. Look forward to some interesting posts in the near future. Cheers, Dwt

Regards

Pennyweight

More
13 years 3 months ago #1841 by Pennyweight
Oh....and thanks for the birthday wishes ;) At today's gold price, I wish for 50 ounces :woohoo: Cheers, Dwt

Regards

Pennyweight

• GaryQ.
  • GaryQ.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
More
13 years 3 months ago #1842 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic Modified SD2000s to GP3000s
No worries mate.

Now my GPM has taken a back seat for the time being since I was convinced by my mates to purchase a 3000 from a friend at a good price back then. Before that I was slowly coming to terms with IJ's "Gain" and Xtal mods as well voltage settings for use with mono coils on my modified 2000.

I found my largest nugget at that time using a borrowed 20" mono from JP on my 1st trip to Clermont with Gain around 50% mark ,Pos.2 xtal (standard crystal on the 2000)but with voltage in 6-volt range only due to conditions.

Now with a VCO and a lower Xtal's available and a smooth mode option maybe I would be able to beef up those settings for quieter operation and some extra depth.

Mmmm further mods by other tinkerers sounds interesting also.

Gary.

Regards

GaryQ

Time to create page: 0.414 seconds