Coils

• toolman
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 8 months ago #110 by toolman
Coils was created by toolman
Hey all, I have just recently purchased a SD 2000 with both BJ & IJ mods done to it. I am in Victorian and will be doing most of my detecting in the golden triangle area. I am looking for some feeback on what coils would be best suited to this detector. I plan on running maybe a coiltek 450mm DD pro or a 350mm DD pro, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Regards

Tim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 8 months ago #111 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic Coils
G'day mate,

I would say you would be on the right track going with your decision with a \"Pro\" series coils judging by the results that Pennyweight was able to achieve in his posting \"Gold to date\"

On my GPM I run a standard CT18DD with the ML11DD for the smaller stuff up hear in Queensland. Two other mates run a CT10\"DD Pro and NF16DD on a 2200 and a CT10\"elip. mono and 17\"elip. DD Pro on a 3000.

I have been impressed on how the NF16DD operates without the noise my CT18DD produces when it is bumped against objects. The 16DD also seems more sensitive than the 18DD although I feel on the real big stuff the 18DD should come out in front. The 10\"DD Pro has snagged some real small stuff and just 2 days ago the mate with the 3000 went to our favourite spot that we had all flogged with all our other detector coil combinations and pulled a little beauty a foot down in hot clay with the CT17'elip.DD Pro, much to our surprise. Hope to go out next week and borrow the 17\" Pro as I have yet to run it on my GPM.

Air tests with the 17\" showed it was behind the 16\" but the Pro must be punching deeper in ground, it would seem, judging by our latest find.

We did a trip earlier in the year down to Victoria and I found my GPM had no trouble with the hot ground which was on par with our hotter stuff up here.

Hope some other members could post some replies on this great GPM site that Ismael continues to keep up and running for us, as it seems my ugly dial turns up plenty often.

See'ya.

Regards

GaryQ

• toolman
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 8 months ago #112 by toolman
Replied by toolman on topic Coils
Hey Gary, a big thanks for that info. I will take all info I get on board.

I have been curious about the ct17/elip dd pro. I had a look at one last weekend at the miners den in Melb, but they had not received much feedback on them. What would be a better choice for me at this stage.......ct350/450dd pro or maybe a ct 17/elip dd pro ? I do have std coils for my souped up sd 2000 inc a ml 11 \" dd coil.

Tim.

• whiteking
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 8 months ago #113 by whiteking
Replied by whiteking on topic Coils
hi tim I use a 18\"ct dd in victoria and find it to be great on deep targets but it is not very sensitive on small stuff (1 gram or less). I think it may be better to use a medium size coil (11\"dd) until you find that first piece and then flog the area with every other coil that you can get your hands on. I wonder if a true super detector will ever be built that would run on 12 volts (and run quietly)and punch deeper into the layer of wash that you should be working on. Just a quick tip on reading the ground on the goldfields in vic, I often drive around till I find a good looking spot and then I get out with my pick and dig a few holes to see if there is a layer of allluvial wash under the surface soils. This can save you from walking around on ground that may not contain any gold within your detectors reach. good luck.

• toolman
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 8 months ago #114 by toolman
Thanks for that WK !!! Much appreciated, question for you....

Would a ct 11'' dd pro be better than my ml 11'' dd ?

Tim.

• whiteking
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 years 7 months ago #121 by whiteking
Replied by whiteking on topic Coils
hi tim , from all reports the pro series of coils are more sensitive and run quieter.
good luck. whiteking

• toolman
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 7 months ago #122 by toolman
Hey all, just some feedback on some coils tested over last weekend around the Avoca/Maryborough area. The boys at coiltek lent me the 17\"elip dd pro which I swung for 2 days without luck. The coil was excellent in the thick stuff where I could poke it into every nook & cranny, the swing arc was also outstanding but I found it to be a little noisey compared to the 350 dd pro. I am now looking at the NF 16\" dd.

Question........

With the gpm mods done, does the detector become a little more noisey than normal ? My mate swings a Sd 2000 with BJ mods and his threshold & tone sound different to mine, I have an electronic hum in the background.

Tim.<br><br>Post edited by: toolman, at: 2004/09/27 20:09

More
19 years 7 months ago #124 by nadzabsas
Replied by nadzabsas on topic Coils
g'day mate,
pardon my ignorance but what is a BJ mod ? i've just purchased an sd2000 with mods so i imagine that an IJ mod would be from sakina and i would presume BJ would be someone that does something else to the detector ? also do you or does anyone know how the 17' UFO coiltek compares with others. it also came with the minelab 8\&quot; mono and 11\&quot; DD.
jim

• toolman
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
19 years 7 months ago #125 by toolman
Hey Jim, BJ mods are Barrie Johnson mods from Wedderburn in Victoria, I think they are similar to IJ 4 position Freq Mods. My mate swings a 2000 with BJ mods and has a 17'' ufo mono, has trouble here in Vic with too much ground noise. Is now using ct18dd with a little more success.

Tim.<br><br>Post edited by: toolman, at: 2004/09/29 21:14

More
19 years 7 months ago #126 by GaryQ.
Replied by GaryQ. on topic Coils
Tim,

Will be interesting to hear your results with a 16\&quot;NFDD on your 2000 . My mate who runs his 16\&quot;NFDD on his 2200 uses it like a bulldozer while scrubbing it at ground level and pushing it where ever it will fit. Just loves his Nuggetfinder.

He has tried the CT17\&quot;DD Pro but was unable to run the pro quiet enough using it in the same manner as he is accustomed too with the Nuggetfinder coil. I don't think the plastic Coiltek would last long with his technique as the fibreglass nuggetfinder has been able too.

I have tried the NF16\&quot;DD on my GPM swinging it low as possible without scrubbing which is all I am accustomed too with my CT18\&quot;DD so as not to case false signals. I did find the signal response with the 16\&quot;NF more broader and not quiet as sharp as with my18\&quot;CT but maybe this could be due to being use to my Coiltek. Just my observation at that time.

As to the background \&quot;electronic hum\&quot; I have found since IJ's (Ismael) mod I am unable to run my 2000 now with a \&quot;silent\&quot; threshold as I could before in its standard mode and then later with a BJ (Barrie Johnson) Internal Sensitivity mod change that my 2000 pocessed before IJ added his 4 pos freq. and gain switches.

Regards

GaryQ

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds